We believe passionately that well-trained staff are essential in creating a successful school. Rugeley School makes staff learning and development a key priority in order to ensure that we are always providing the best possible standard of education and care for the young people we support.
Autism specialist training
- Three members of our Senior Leadership Team have higher qualifications in autism
- Rugeley School is registered with NASS and NAS
- Our staff are able to access appropriate NASS/NAS training sessions and attend conferences
- Residential staff have a minimum Diploma level 3 qualification or equivalent
- In-house Team Teach and Safeguarding trainers
- All staff undertake a mandatory e-learning training programme, including modules in ASD
All staff at Rugeley School are trained in Team Teach. This training equips them with the skills to identify possible triggers and so redirect to avoid stressful situations for the young person which could lead to challenging behaviour. All staff are trained in behaviour management strategies that focus on using de-escalation where possible.
A commitment to learning
Our Senior Leadership Team members who have higher qualifications in autism provide regular in-house training for other staff. The speech and language therapists and occupational therapists also provide training in addition to their in-house support for school and residential staff. Regular meetings with autism leads from other schools within the Aspris Group help to monitor delivery of autism training modules and share good practice.
The school has three safeguarding officers, including one who is qualified as a Safeguarding trainer. All school staff undergo top-up Safeguarding training each year as a mandatory requirement.
Seeking a rewarding career?
Key contact details
For general enquiries, please contact:
T: 01889 504400
To contact the Headteacher:
Headteacher, Rugeley School
T: 01889 504400