Unsted Park School welcomes the Gatsby Benchmarks and the focus it has provided for the careers work we deliver; we were delighted to receive positive feedback on our work so far during our recent OFSTED inspection. The Gatsby Benchmarks reinforce our belief that a comprehensive career programme is best delivered through a partnership approach with parents, the school and the wider community all working together to enable our young people to transition as smoothly as possible into the world of work. You can read about the benchmarks here.
Key features of our programme thus far include:
- A rolling programme of guest speakers highlighting different career options
- A live streamed input from National Careers Service at our Options event
- Regional events: we take our students to significant regional events such as the Surrey Skills Fair; this coming academic year all years 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 will attend the National Apprenticeship Show
- Work experience: Students in years 11, 12, 13 and 14 have the opportunity to have work experience placements both externally and internally. The employers involved are visited by our Careers Lead prior to the placement starting to check suitability and undertake risk assessments. During the student’s placement our Careers Lead will make a formal placement visit and discuss progress with both the student and their employer and take photographs which are then added to the student’s folder.
- Collaboration: Our staff working in collaboration with other schools and key external organisations such as JobCentrePlus to support delivery of our careers programme
- Providing parents with the up to date employment trends data from the National Careers Service in order that they can discuss these with their children, enabling them to make informed decisions about their future options
Unsted Park School welcomes any ideas you might have to enable us to further develop this exciting area of or work.
Careers Lead: Sally Taylorson
Tel: 01483 892061